1 Tbsp. rice flour
3 Tbsp. white sugar or honey to taste
5 medium egg yolks or 4 large
1 Tbsp. whole milk
1 pint heavy cream
1 five oz. American Heritage Chocolate Bar
1 prepared frozen 9in. pie shell
Pinch of sea salt
- Grate the chocolate into a bowl and set aside.
- Combine sea salt, egg yolks, rice flour and milk in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Pour all the cream and the chocolate into a sauce pan and heat to a boil, stirring continuously.
- Add the sugar/honey and cook until both the sugar and the chocolate are melted.
- Take a quarter of a cup of the hot mixture and slowly add to the egg yolk and rice flour mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk, to prevent scrambling.
- Stir the warmed egg yolk mixture into the sauce pan and bring all the ingredients to a boil for about a minute. Set aside and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- While the mixture is cooling, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the frozen pie shell, set it upon a cookie sheet to prevent spillage and bake for 40-45 minutes, until set.
- Remove from oven and let it cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight.
recipe: jim gay